Friday, November 30, 2012

Roundup: This Week's Top Recruiting Stories From Around The Web

Recruiting Roundup: This week what to do when applicants appear overqualified, how CEOs can help recruit, how to measure your interviewing competence and more... this week's top recruiting stories from around the web.

iRecruit Webinar Dates in December
Announcing iRecruit webinar presentation schedule for December 2012. Learn how to take control of your applicant tracking process, and manage your applicants in a centralized, secure, cloud-based database. We have weekly webinar demos scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2pm Eastern Time (US). Or contact us at 1-800-517-9099 to schedule a webinar at your convenience.

Drowning in a Pool of Overqualified Applications
I currently have several positions open, and the job descriptions clearly outline the experience necessary. I’m drowning in applications from overqualified people. I know with the unemployment rate so high people often have noticeably more experience than the jobs they apply for require.


Menard to fly Wis. workers in to staff ND store
Home improvement retailer Menard Inc. says it will hire workers from its home base in Wisconsin and fly them to North Dakota to staff a store in Minot, which is near the state's booming oil patch and has more jobs than takers.

Why I Never Post Job Openings
Instead, I give candidates permission to stalk me. They should find out what I'm up to, track me down, introduce themselves, let me get to know them. It works. People often ask me how to get a job at my company, User Insight. The truth is, I rarely, if ever, post available jobs. This doesn't mean that I don't have any jobs open--that the company isn't growing, changing, or replacing staff.

How CEOs Can Personally Recruit Top Talent
Take a cue or two from Justin Yoshimura, a 23-year-old Silicon Valley serial entrepreneur who is his company's lead headhunter. I recently received a note from the CEO of a company in San Francisco who wanted me to check out a letter posted on his website that he uses to attract talented employees. I'm impressed with his unique approach to hiring in what is an incredibly competitive market: software engineers in Silicon Valley.

Are Reference Checks a Waste of Time?
Probably not for the nearly 30 percent of employers who’ve caught fake references on a job application.…or for the 69 percent of employers who say they’ve changed their mind about a candidate after speaking with a reference.

8 Questions to Measure Your Behavioral Interviewing Competence
If you think Behavioral Event Interviews consist only of questions, think again. Highly structured interviews have a long history of accurately predicting success. In some studies they are rated on a par with intelligence tests. But, and I do mean “but,” BEI accuracy depends on whether your entire system works together. Let’s start by looking at how interview practices vary from the worst to the best.

Contact Every Candidate
Every person, every candidate, and every applicant has value. I have yet to meet a single person in my career who does not have within them an intrinsic value or skill that offers benefits.

Looking for more? Check out last week's Roundup: This Week's Top Recruiting Stories From Around The Web, or follow @cmsirecruit on Twitter for regular updates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment